Friday, April 29, 2011

Jitters Coffee House

178 N. Chicago Street, Joliet, IL
815.740.0048

It is almost impossible to find even marginally good coffee in the suburbs. I think is about a million times truer in my hometown, Joliet, IL. When I was growing up, we didn't have any coffee shops save for a Starbuck's kiosk inside of the Dominick's grocery store and a Gloria Jean's inside the mall. In the eight years it's been since I moved away, Starbucks has at least opened a store on Jeffierson Street, but the Gloria Jean's is gone.

So one can imagine my surprise when I found Jitters Coffee House in the downtown area. A locally-owned coffee shop in The J?? Of course, I wasn't nearly as surprised to find that their coffee is awful. Neither Ashley nor I could even finish our drinks because they were so damn terrible.

I don't think Joliet will ever have a decent coffee shop, honestly. Which is unfortunate. I just don't think the blue collar Everyman cares about great coffee. For him, Folgers or Hill Brothers is just fine. For him, Jitters is probably world-class, gourmet coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment